Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Traveling the Turnpike of Here and Now


As I journey through the space of my life at times I see myself on the Here and Now Turnpike that takes me to the land of Tranquility, where I enjoy living.  However, along this highway there are many exits before I arrive at my destination.  So often, I have been distracted by the advertisements to visit roadside attractions which take me on long and laborious detours that ultimately only lead to dead ends. 
I have gone to the territory of ‘what if’ and spent many anxious hours traversing its land side only to find myself lost and worn out.  I have been lured in by the many billboards along the roadside to visit the realm of ‘fix-it’ and found myself confused and off course as I try to endlessly rescue others from flat tires, overheated engines and empty gas tanks.  I have spent time in Catastrophe Canyon, Addiction Alley, and Victim Valley.  I have gone down into Depression Hole and been to the Denial Derby.  I have shopped at Persecutor Plaza, swam in the Sea of Self Pity, rode the rapids of the Rageful River, bought souvenirs at Criticism Chasm and been to many concerts at Anxiety Amphitheatre.  So many side trips have unfortunately been made on my way to the land of Tranquility.  
I am mindful of my need to fill up my tank with affirmation and positivity before I leave on today’s adventure.  I will also bring a good road map that marks places to stop for refreshment, connection and reassurance.  I can expect to be drawn in by these roadside temptations but intend to remain focused on where I desire to be and aware of the choices that will get me there.


No comments:

Post a Comment